2018/06/23

Review: Airi Suzuki - Do me a favor Album

'Sup guys! It's the wonderland's owner, Cyaa!
I haven't posted something like this for a while (because mostly I only post lyrics). I know my personal post mostly were some trash *lol* but hey I'm ruling this blog and I do whatever i want *evil laugh*.
This time I want to share with everyone my personal preference from Airi's first solo album "Do me a favor". I was so happy to hear that she came back both as idol and as a singer and her mere presence motivates me so much. At first we all know that she will release an album and one of the song that has been published through concert is Mikansei Girl. That song was so Buono!-ish so I have my hope high. And when I read at her Instagram stories that she was excited because she recorded a song that genre is new for her, I thought "Oh, new genre? That's interesting". But what intrigued me is the fact that she posted that kind of stories several time. How many songs would there be in her album then? 15! And 4 MVs so far! This is the first time we got so much content from UF and I anticipated this album so much.
Enough chit-chat, let's move on to my review. I'll put the list from the least to most favorite.

Disclaimer: This review is based on my personal taste and I'm aware that I'm not good in music myself so most of them are ranked by my subjective view from the song. :)


15. perfect timing



I don't hate perfect timing but I just can't find the reason to like it. It has a really good rhythm going on一although the verse and chorus rhythm is kinda like reggae music. But this song is way too sexy. No I'm not denying that I like songs that are sexy and I'm digging some but this song's lyric is just.... meh.
I'm surprised myself when found that Airi herself co-wrote the lyric when you can see wtf is actually going on throughout the song. The lyric tells about a girl who monopolize her certain someone's attention. She was in a perfect situation and she doesn't want to be interrupted by any body and she doesn't want it to be ended fast (uhm.. what r u talking about exactly tho? And what kind of situation is it? A date? A party? 😱)
*fyi : yes I live in a country where *norm* is over everything. There are lots of hypocrite tho but Idk I'm pretty much accustomed to the norm so I'm being judgeful here. But if such situation actually happened around me I wouldn't interupt. I just don't want to do it (yet?).
Score: 4/10

14. たぶんね、(tabun ne)



The music is pretty normal, I don't hate it and it has cute verse 💕 It's a simple EDM song without that much interesting element.
I REALLY THOUGHT THIS WAS A LOVE SONG BUT NO IT'S ACTUALLY A SONG TO COMFORT GIRLS. And once I saw the lyric I almost thought this is a gay song lmao but it's too cute to be such and it's cute to see how she try to cheer her friend after breaking up with her boyfriend. The thing I found from this song is the depiction of millennial (or girls' habit during heartbroken phase?): (1) treat your friend sweets at some fancy cafe, (2) then take lots of photo of the sweets/cakes until you won't see your ex's photo anymore, (3) let's go shopping (to make you happy again). I'm putting this song here because it doesn't really stuck to my head.
Score: 5/10

13. いいんじゃない (iinjanai)



First of all, I enjoyed the opening very much. The sound's like some kind of country song (?) especially the piano, acoustic guitar and also the maracas. Airi also matches her voice with the song so it's pretty light and she doesn't need to strain her voice with high notes.
For the lyric, it's about how she reminds those who're working too hard to appreciate their own selves and encourage them to say no if they can't really meet their expectation and take some time. It's very pretty and I give this song a pretty good score ✨ The only reason it doesn't rank well because I'm not really interested with this style of music but it's not a bad song.
Score: 7.5/10

12. STORY



"A collaboration with SCANDAL? Heck yeah!" --that's what I thought when I saw the track list. It turns out that I don't actually love their music (no they're very good but it's not my aesthetic(?) 😂)
The rock influenced song might be one of Airi's specialty since Buono! The difference: this song doesn't really contain cute midi like Buono! does and this song has potential to be an anisong (just like what SCANDAL did til now). Airi's voice also matured a lot and I like how she handles it now. It's powerful and feminine at the same time, but it's not over-cutesy. One of the poor point is that the recording isn't that smooth. Most of the time her voice is overpowered by the bass. I noticed it once at the last chorus when her voice got dominant and it's clear as crystal.
The lyric is also pretty generic: it tells about one's will to be with her beloved someone no matter how hard it will be.
Score: 7/10

11. 私のそばで (watashi no soba de)



One of a good Dance Side number in my opinion--not so "over" and it has a pretty good instruments despite H!P standard sounds. Honestly I thought it was one of the Band Side song LOL. The guitar in the chorus is so pretty, the piano gives an old H!P music vibe. Airi also sang this prettily as in she doesn't really strain her voice like most H!P song did to her :'(
The song itself tells about a girl who's finally find her love and she wants to be happy with him.
Overall it's a pretty and relaxing song but I don't find it much appealing.
Score: 7/10

10. start again



I really love this song so much when the first time I heard this from her MV. It's like finally, a good dance track huh? It's an EDM track that is different from most of H!P releases. And the bridge's SOOO GOOOOD! It uses some strings (probably the synth one) and I'm surprised how Airi can actually pull this kind of genre alone. Her voice is one of the most powerful one in H!P but still I'm scared whenever hear her live. The contrast between the verse and the chorus is pretty huge and the chorus might makes her tired.
Just like the title, the song pretty much reflects on how she finally decide to continue as an artist and it will be fine so don't be afraid of what will come in front of you.
One of the fact that I found when I watch the MV on Youtube is that this song is pretty alike with Amuro's songs. I rarely hear her songs so I can't really tell but the fact that this song is finally going with the trend tears me up LOL
The thing is, slowly but surely, the song gets a little boring and now I rarely listen to this as much.
Score: 8/10

9. Be Your Love



The main point of this song in my opinion is THE FUCKIN DROP AFTER THE SECOND (or third?) CHORUS. I'M CRYING OVER THIS HIDDEN GEM THAT COULD BE FOUND FROM H!P. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOU PD-NIM!
This song is mainly influenced with some synth and electric guitar. The base is also catchy but it's being drown by the other noise. Honestly though, the mixing is pretty noisy I can't really hear some of the instrument (including her voice) clearly. I acttually like this song but the melody at the end of the chorus is unexpectedly cute that I come to hate it..
The lyric is just as strong as the music itself. Even though it's about a girl who wants to be loved, she doesn't hesitate at all to make a move and that's a good thing! You go gurl! I'm still a bit surprised by this kind of lyric that actually far from most of an idol group song which is cute and always looks helpless. I guess Airi decides to go for girl crush concept further.
Score: 8/10

8. DISTANCE



Another very good dance number. This song still has a little late C-ute vibe but sounds maturer. The 16th note on the verse is so cool IMO. Then it cools down at the pre-chorus and finally back to the complex beat on chorus. (LMAO sorry I know only a bit about this so very sorry if there's weird words in my review ^^;)
This song's lyric is quite unclear for me. It is telling about the distance she has with someone that already going forward (probably with their own life). She tries to find this person no matter how hard it will be. This might also represent how much she wants to grow into a cool adult just like the person she always looks forward to.
The weak point though, if this song doesn't have MV I probably don't like it as much. I love the choreo so much! It's a good thing she recruited her own friend to choreographed this and finally we're out from those sh*tty choreo H!P always have X''D (uh, not always but... mostly?) It's pretty complex but it's still comfortable enough for her to perform it live.
Is it just me, I kinda feel a little bit Chungha vibe on this song? The bridge is pretty similar with Chungha's Roller Coaster but I might be wrong..
Score: 8/10

7. Candy Box



I know I'm being a hoe for saying that I hate cutesy voice and I also said that rock-sih anisong is not my aesthetic *sobs* Yeah I don't actually like it but tbh the verse is so cute. It reminds me with that time I only listen to Anisong and this one is actually pretty classic. I always being moved up by such chord ;; I feel like I hear K-ON songs *sniffles*
The overall song is a very Buono-ish song that goes well with anime. The lyric is also pretty generic: a girl power song, where girls can like anything cute but that's it and it's your life to go for!
Score: 8/10

6. Good Night



The opening really got me.
The way she sang the intro is so sexy and the only instrument that accompany her is the freaking piano! Then suddenly, BAM! Here comes the funky retro sound ** The first time I hear the radio rip I was so disappointed. More over the radio rip will always a very bad quality sound that it really irritated me. But after I finally hear it properly when I romanized the lyric, it's actually grows very much in me.
The rhythm and the overall instrument really live up the song as a dance track. Even though H!P also have retro songs, this one is pretty good and it actually reminds me with Wonder Girls' songs and a bit Bruno Mars. I especially like the part from the bridge onward. The harmony is in borderline between pretty and sexy and I really like the melody. I definitely enjoy this song so much even though it sounds a bit like an old song.
Score: 8/10


5. 光の方へ (hikari no hou he)



Okay, I'm new with this Akai Koen group but, it's... it's so good......
For some song, the instrument I focus on so much is base and the base in this song is soo goood. I especially like it on the chorus! The rhythm is also very catchy that's why I give it a good score!
At first I don't really like how Airi sang in this song though. The cutesy is a bit annoying but when I actually listen to it without looking at the MV, I can actually tell how good this song is haha. Yeah, it's not good to judge this song by only looking at the MV. The MV is actually really cute with all the whites and sprinkle of pinks but it's too bright for me (?) It's also a cheap one tho.. well she already had 3 MVs so far. It's a good thing to have another MV right?
The lyric is also pretty cute even though most of them are metaphores but the way they portrays the happiness is cute!
Score: 9/10

4. 未完成ガール (Mikansei Girl)



Being one of the first song from the album to be released, this song has a good start for her. It's a rock number and most of her fans probably has known her since Buono! era got reminiscent from this song. I especially reminded with "Solasido Nee Nee"s chorus idk why.
Even the lyric portrays her will to continue as a singer. She knows that she is not perfect. She admits it and she proceed to become a singer anyway. I feel strucked by this as I usually hates myself when I made mistake and I've got scolded several times because of this, and this song giving me a friendly reminder of that. :')
Score: 9/10

3. Moment



Another biased review from me. I think you guys can guess what kind of music I'm into. As youu can see, this song isn't the best one on this album but it ranked pretty high. I especially love the chorus' melody. And it is so hard to sing along to. I always forgot the right melody to "to negau yo" haha. Although this has staple jpop sound it's kind of pleasing to my ear.
The lyric to has a sweet meaning to. Every moment has its own meaning so we need to appreciate everything that happens now.
Score: 8/10

2. #DMAF



This is probably the best song I've ever heard so far from her album. At glance it's probably a boring song, but then the chorus came and wow... the strings... her voice... I really like her technique when she sang "ai wo komete". It fades with a falsetto and it really suits her. But on the next part she ends it with a belt and this variation is very very pleasing! She never done such technique at any other song and this song really introduces her improved skills. And the brief(?) modulation after the first chorus is also throwing me out hahaha it's good! 
Other than Mikansei Girl, this song is also a good sample for her first album. In the kpop scene it''s probably one of that fan song on their debut anniversary. She even put "do me a favor" as the title as if she knows she is nothing without her fans so she asks them all to do her a favor by staying by her side :') Such a lovely girl.
Score: 9/10

1. 君の好きな人 (Kimi no Suki na Hito)



At this point, you all must be confused on my 1st pick. Although my taste of music has changed this past few years, I can;t deny that I'm still a sucker for a sweet cheesy songs.. Here I present you the cheesiest song in this release: Kimi no suki na hito (the person you like / the person who love you -> still can't guess which one is the right meaning).
The instruments are pretty basic, basically a pop song with electric guitar spice, I even can consider it as one of Buono's album track. The lyric is like telling a story about your youth time when you fall in love with your best friend. It's soooooo cheesy I could relate to my bone lmaoo
Score: 9/10


Overall Thought


This is a pretty good ground for her debut as a solo singer. She even showcases both of her good charms since her time at C-ute and Buono!: the "idol" Airi and the "singer" Airi. Although I really hope she would pursue more on her singer side but I'm pretty surprised on how peopleーgirls to be preciseー accepts her as an idol and going crazy about her and her back dancers. 

I wrote this at around 2018 but finally finishes this review in 2020 (edit: oh wait I even set the date I can't change it to the actual day I release this HAHAHA it's actually May 28th, 2020) so there are already lots of new songs from her and I recommend you all to listen to them too since all of them are nice (AND THE SONG FROM HIGE DANDISM THO UGHH SONG OF THE YEAR YALL SHOULD LISTEN)

Thank you for reading!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

    © Cyaa's Wonderland. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP